Wednesday, July 29, 2009

You betcha

Just returned from a business trip. It’s was pretty much and all-work-no-play kind of deal, but I honestly can’t say that I was upset with this too much for a few reasons. One is that we stayed in a fabulous hotel. If you’re ever in Minneapolis, you must stay at the Graves601. The service is unmatched, the food is insanely good, and the rooms are awesome (rain showers, Hermes products and a bed that makes me sad to go back to my own). I wish that I had more of a chance to hang out in downtown Minneapolis, because I had only went one other time when my mom and I spent two days touring the Mall of America.

There is something that I did realize on this trip while I was boarding my flight back and saw the bright florescent lights of the DQ. Sometimes traveling is not always about experiencing the unknown; it can also be about enjoying the comforts of the past. When all of my colleagues went out to a swanky rooftop bar on our first night in the city, I passed in exchange for the chance hit up Target. I relived my evening with tales of a glorious night spent in wide aisles, throwing unnecessary items into my cart with recklessness abandon, most them (unless they lived in Manhattan or the middle of BFE) could not understand why on earth 1. We don’t have a target. 2. You’d not want to go to a rooftop bar? I simply smiled but knew that those who went to the rooftop bar did not come home with an array of travel-sized toiletries, Target designer clothing or Pet Sympathy greeting cards.

No comments: